Option 1: Exceptional Work Experience
For Teaching Grades PK-12
The Exceptional Work Experience option requires extensive development of materials because the documentation is extensive and
the review process is rigorous. To see if you are a candidate for this route, answer the following questions:
- Do you have at least 10 years of exceptional work experience after completing your bachelor's degree
(not including classroom teaching experience) in the area for which you are seeking certification?
- Do you have a bachelor's degree with at least a 2.5 overall grade point average (GPA)?
(The GPA is based on a 4.0 scale.)
- Do you have a major in the content area for the certification you are seeking? If not, have
you passed the PRAXIS II in that content area?
- Can you provide documentation of Exceptional Work Experience as defined by the Education Professional Standards
- Can you provide 3-5 recommendations from employers directly associated with your 10 years of exceptional work experience
all of which specifically support the exceptional aspects of your work experience?
- Do you have an offer of employment in a local school district?
If you answered 'yes' to all of these questions, continue to create your portfolio. If you answered 'no' to any question, your
alternative route choice will not be this option. Look at the criteria for Options 2-6 to see which best fits your
situation. If you have an offer of employment from Jefferson County Schools, consider using Option 2.
Continue to the tutorial to create
your exceptional work experience portfolio.
Click here to view frequently asked questions about Option 1.